Hello everyone and welcome to my main website – I’m Mal Milligan and this page is “about me”.
I’ve lived in Ramsey NJ since 1968 when I was 7 years old. Believe it or not, there are still around a dozen people I grew up with that are still living in town or in the area. Most of us have kids, a few have grand kids. This area has been a great place to grow up, go to school, get jobs, and many of us raised our kids here too. I’m especially proud of my 2 wonderful kids as they are nearly completing grades 1 through 12 here in Ramsey… and doing it much better than I did !
- The beginning of my real working career was the 4 years I spent in the US Navy (1981 – 1985) working in the Submarine Service. I was a crew member on 2 nuclear powered boats, the USS Stonewall Jackson SSBN-634 Gold crew, and I was a “Plank Owner” (one of the initial crew members) on the USS Augusta SSN-710. Both submarines are now out of active duty service (like me) ! One of the highlights was being awarded the “Navy Achievement Medal” from the Secretary of the Navy for “Innovative Management Techniques”. Although it’s been 3 decades since I left the US Navy, I still feel privileged to be able to chat on Facebook with lots of the guys I used to go out to sea with on patrols. So the Navy taught me how to work and it gave me a great bunch of friends.
- I went back to college and I graduated from Ramapo College of NJ in 1988 with a B.S. in Management Information Systems. The thousands of hours I spent working in the computer lab at Ramapo paid off in the real world and I landed up getting some really prestigious Wall Street jobs at some of the top companies on the planet.
- I was a Senior Technical Officer and Supervisor of (Local Area) Network Operations at the world headquarters of Smith Barney and JP Morgan Chase – both in NYC. Over an almost 15 year working career in NYC, I was also a Technical Officer at the world headquarters of Citibank, Kidder Peabody, and AIG (AI Credit). I was ultimately a “Master Certified Netware Engineer” (MCNE) and a “Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer – NT 4.0” (MCSE). Yeah – meaning I was really good at building and trouble-shooting PC’s and “file servers” back in the day.
- I eventually became a full time web designer and I built and launched over 500 websites, many of them commercially successful. In 2008 I switched from HTML type web design to WordPress and I never looked back. WordPress websites are still the future of the industry for many reasons.
- I also spent a couple years working full time as a SEO which is a “Search Engine Optimization” specialist. I had 250 Google #1 rankings and 1,100 Top 10 phrases all at the same time for competitive attorney phrases in 2009.
- In 2010 I went to the New York Film Academy and I graduated with a certificate in Digital Editing.
- In 2010 I noticed that 80% of the photography used in the real estate industry was substandard, and I started doing professional real estate photography and videography. I try to bring magazine quality to every professional image I shoot and prepare for showing.
- In 2013 I got my NJ State Real Estate License specifically so I could help homeowners sell their properties using the state-of-the-art technology that is available today but that few in the real estate industry have mastered. As anyone who knows me might guess, in photography and in real estate I work with some of the top professionals in the industry. It’s been incredible fun and personally rewarding working together to help hundreds of families sell their homes with more views on the internet, more tours, more multiple offers, and higher sale values because they allowed me into their homes to create beautiful “art quality” images to attract buyers to their properties.